


I awoke this morning while it was still just slightly dark, my head pulled under the covers leaving only my mouth and nose exposed to the crisp, slightly chilly air that undeniably signaled the beginning of fall. I'd been looking forward to this all week since I saw the forecast - highs in the mid 60s. What could be better?
I got up, went down to Findlay Market and picked up all the fresh produce for the week as well as a couple small loaves of fresh bread and smoked Gouda. Went home, packed up a quick lunch, grabbed the dog and went off to East Fork State Park for a hike. Beulah did well - one of her longest trips. Stopped around noon at what is under non-drought conditions probably a stream... Beautiful rocks and a very little bit of water trickling through. There was a large flat rock perfect for sitting and eating a lunch of the aforementioned bread and cheese, a macintosh apple, a little smoked sausage, and a bit of sauvignon blanc that I'd dumped into a small nalgene before leaving. Beulah got lunch and water, too. Does it get better than this?
As with my other trips to East Fork, the trails were nearly deserted. I did pass a couple of horseback riders this time, though, which is really more than I've seen there typically.
The only downsides is that Beulah got tons of crap in her coat that I've been trying to pick out and she took a great big bite out of a pile of horse crap. She seemed to like it, but it grossed me out a bit. Nothing like eating poo.
What a great way to spend a Saturday! I'm so excited that it feels like fall today. I know we've got a few more warm days ahead, but bring on the chilly nights!!!!

2 comments:
Hmmm...bullet holes in a hiker sign. I can't imagine why your trail is deserted....
I actually did make a mental note to not go back during hunting season...
Post a Comment