Happy Halloween!This used to be one of my favorite holidays as a kid.
Our school does something weird - the kids aren't really allowed to dress up, but the teachers are encouraged to do so.
So the music department has a bit of a reputation of being really really good at theme costume ideas. We've actually won the student council vote for two of the last three years. The kids love it... we love it. It's fun, they get to see you being a little crazy, and you get to be a little bit of a kid. All good. The costumes always come with some sort of performance for the kids, too. This was crazy dancing to Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl (one of the first ipod commercials.
In previous years - the blue man group, mickey and the brooms from Fantasia, Oompa-Loompas, and characters from Dr. Seuss.
Anyway, Happy Halloween. Have a good time being someone/something else. Be a kid.

6 comments:
We didn't win - the administration did with a "Matrix" theme. They did look good...
I'm actually glad we didn't win, though. The day was unfortunately tainted at the end when a student told us that his teacher said "they're only good because they have more free time to work on it". It's one thing if you believe that. It's entirely another thing to tell a student that we don't work as hard as other teachers. Clearly, said teacher has never met a band director or spent time in front of a classroom of 70. We actually teach more bells a day than any "Academic" teacher.
If you have a problem with me, tell me. NOT my students. The only reason we put so much effort into it is FOR the students. They love it.
Badmouth me to anyone you want. Just not our students.
<\venting>
I'm with you. completely unprofessional. I pisses me off when music teachers are constantly bitch kicked by other members of the staff. and to a student...come on! Do physical education teachers find themselves running into the same accusations? just wondering...because they don't do shit! (just kidding, but I am curious)
Wow..It must be shit on a music teacher day. My concert is November 19th. Guess ho many rehearsals I have between now and then....3.
Let's all go live in a commune.
done.
where/when do we go?
I think we could pull off one in oregon. They're ok with hippies out there.
Wow. That teacher should know WAY better than to shit-talk another teacher in front, and especially TO a student.
I think you should confront that teacher. Just say, walk ONE day in my shoes and see what you think then. Their 26 student classes can't compare to a 50 student choir or a 150 student marching band, etc.
Grrrr. and I don't even teach...
correction 70 student choirs.
I see 430 students.
(roughly 300/day)
Post a Comment