Monday, December 31, 2007

#1 of 2007 - The National - Boxer

On first listen, my reaction to Boxer was a bit of disappointment. 2005's Alligator had been one of those albums that had grabbed me instantly, implanting itself in my brain like a little piece of DNA that had been missing. To date the opening track of Alligator is still the most-listened-to song on my i-tunes.

Boxer was different, though. The first few listens revealed a sort of sleepy album - and in that sleepy subtleness lies Boxer's strength. It feels like the soundtrack to my brain... the stuff that goes on that words don't describe.

In live performances, that sleepiness disappears and becomes a long, slow crescendo that builds and builds in intensity until it feels like something may explode.

Boxer wins number one on numerous counts - It is my most listened to album of 2007 (again according to my itunes stats), it is the album I have not gotten tired of despite having had it since early in the year, it was one of the best concerts I saw this year (In Portland with Becky and Schatzy at Berbatti's Pan), I liked them enough to buy a poster (something I haven't done since college). I've come back to this album over and over and over. Its consistency is in many ways stronger than Alligator. Alligator probably had more obvious stand-out tracks, but Boxer doesn't really have a misstep anywhere in it. It's a solid album from start to finish.

Three stand-out tracks

Slow Show
"You can drive a car in my head in five minutes from one side of it to the other"... "You know I've dreamed about you for 29 years, before I saw you"
A fan-made video


Fake Empire
"Turn the light out, say goodnight, no thinking for a little while. Lets not try to figure out everything at once"
Another fan-made video


Green Gloves
"Take another sip of them, it floats around and takes me over like a little drop of ink in a glass of water"
A live performance


So congrats to the Cincinnati boys made good. Can't wait to hear what you have in store for the future.

Check out more cool posters - including more from the national at spike press. I picked up the one pictured at Flatstock this summer in Chicago.

Happy New Year's everyone, hope that you have a great 2008!

2 comments:

Jack Croupy, alias said...

I'm happily buying these two albums by the National in the very near future...unless you burn them for me first. :)

I got some gift card cash to burn at both Borders and B&N. Yippeee!

Matt said...

buy alligator first... let it sink in.

Then get Boxer.