#5 Okkervil River - The Stage Names - I think the #5 slot is the hardest one to fill. It's obviously not your favorite of the year, but how do you distinguish it from all of those other outstanding candidates? Today, though, Okkervil River comes out on top. A really solid album from start to finish and no real weak spots. It has a solid touch of Americana in it, and more than one memorable line. The delivery is really what makes it. You'd probably like it - check it out.
#4 The Budos Band - II - Music so funky that even I can't help but want to shake what I got. This is probably the first time an instrumental album has made me top 5, and I strongly considered placing it higher. Strong, dark, tight funky goodness... From the very opening note pounded through on the bari sax, you know you're in for something good. I can't understand how anyone could
not like this music. It makes me want to drive a slick car around the streets of a major city in the night while rain comes down all around. Or - better yet - dance with a beautiful brunette in room reminiscent of the old blue wisp with some good bourbon and big fat cigar. This is music I want to
experience!. Do yourself a favor. Get it. Now. No excuses allowed on this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment