Sunday, August 17, 2008

best weekend ever?

On Friday, we concluded showchoir camp with a mini-performance for the parents of our girls. They sang four songs - memorized - with choreography. And while there are only six of them right now, they consistently maintained their three parts. I had really doubted what would be possible in the twenty hours of work that we had, but the girls really did do a fantastic job. It was good to get to meet their parents afterward.

And, as a bonus, I got to bring home almost 2' of a Jersey Mike's party sub (which in the remainder of the weekend Mark and I have managed to devour) and a chocolate cake which a former student baked for me before she left for college. (another long story)

That night I ended up at the Southgate house to watch Mark and Dusty rock the lounge - and they did... The evening was topped off with a required visit to Dixie chili, and some late Olympics beach volleyball viewing

--

Saturday Mark and I somehow managed to get up early and host the garage sale that Kris had diligently priced and prepared. I spent far more than I made (it was a street sale) but it was a beautiful day to hang out on the porch and do nothing.

The afternoon took me through a few more houses. More on that later.

Then Mark left for his gig and I sat down to do some work. As usual, I procrastinated on the net first... only to find a deal on Craigslist that I couldn't pass up. I drove out to the countryside surrounding Sir Michael's Foxcroft estate and picked myself up a BEAUTIFUL Martin D12. The poor guy had lost his job and was selling all of his guitars. I've always wanted to replace my Takamine 12 string that was stolen in Fairfield, but never have... and then this. It is easily the best guitar I've ever owned, and easily the nicest 12 string I've ever played. It's an amazing instrument.

--

Sunday and I got my dog back!!!! I went up to Springfield and spent the day with my parents and my brother. Had a great Thai meal cooked by one of my sister-in-law's friends.

---
And TODAY.... I found out that I got the house I put a bid in on on Saturday. It will keep me more than busy... there is MUCH work to be done, but it's a cute little house - and very near to Mark and Kris and Nick. (Kris emailed me this detail from Google maps: 0.2 mi – about 3 mins) And I think three minutes is the walking time, not the driving time. Cute little house. And a deal. The downside is that it's from HUD, and so the purchasing process will not be expedient. But I'm going to go sign papers on it tonight. Now I'm going to walk Beulah over there and show her her new home and take some better exterior shots. YIPPIE!

6 comments:

danl77 said...

Very Cool on the house!! I like that it has a nice front porch. Hopefully you can set up a workshop in the garage and/or basement. When do you get to move in?

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! A hearty congratulations!!! And I love the house and that you are going to be our neighbor. Super cool!! We can meet on the corner of Blaney & Britton and then walk to Wooster for Happy Hours galore :) :) YEAH!

Kris

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Nice weekend dude! The D12 is quite a find! I want to hear it! Nicely done on the house too. It looks like it's right up your alley! Keep us updated on move in dates, etc.

Sir Michael of Foxcroft said...

Congrats! Very happy for you.

La La said...

Wooohooo!!
Congratulations Matt! :) The house looks awesome! You're going to give that house some IKEA love aren't you?

Becky Schatz said...

Congratulations on the house! I'm happy you have your pup back, too.
Sorry I have not blogged in a while. Blame Schatzy - he spilled beer in the keyboard.