"Forget sex or politics or religion, loneliness is the subject that clears out a room."
-Douglas Coupland
It's been a while since I've read any Coupland, but I was reminded about the above quote in a staff meeting recently. We were doing one of those stupid awareness/team-building exercises that makes everyone feel horridly awkward and uncomfortable. (I think awkward is even an awkward word to spell). Anwyay. One of the statements was "If you feel lonely cross to the other side of the room." No one moved. It was one of the few where that was true. Even though I can guarantee you some people in the room felt lonely. I did. But the truth is, if you talk to someone about being lonely it gets silent. fast. It's interesting. Because i don't think that loneliness is all that bad of a thing. I've spent a fair amount of time there. It has many shades, many colors. You can be surrounded with friends and still feel lonely.
And since Coupland (and that post) may leave you feeling a little empty, I'll give you a quick upper from the same guy:
"I am going to give you a piece of advice...advice I wish I'd been told in guidance class back in high school, in between the don't-do-acid and don't-drink-and-drive films. I wish our counselors had told us, 'When you grow older a dreadful, horrible sensation will come over you. It's called loneliness, and you think you know what it is now, but you don't. Here is the list of the symptoms, and don't worry—loneliness is the most universal sensation on the planet. Just remember one fact—loneliness will pass. You will survive and you will be a better human for it.'"
— Douglas Coupland (Shampoo Planet)
And while I'm quoting Coupland, I'll give you one of my all-time favorites:
"Now - here is my secret:
I tell it to you with an openness of heart that I doubt I shall ever achieve again,
so I pray that you are in a quiet room as you hear these words. My secret is that I need God -
that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem capable of giving;
to help me be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond being able to love."
— Douglas Coupland (Life After God)
Speaking of which, if you've never read Life After God, please borrow it from me. It's an easy, quick read, and one of my favorites. Not quite sure why it resonates so much with me, but it does. Think I'll read it again here over the next couple days.
Peace.
Egg Fast Log Sept 2017...
8 years ago

2 comments:
Your blog makes me rone-ree...so rone-ree...
Kris
I was going to read that book, but it was in a box, in a POD, when you were going to India, but didn't go, then unpacked, but didn't unpack, and never gave me the book.
I get what you say...
later
Post a Comment