Tuesday, March 30, 2010

two of the greatest voices ever recorded



Björling and de los Angeles will never be matched in this opera... I honestly can't imagine two voices better paired for this. There are, of course, many other fine performances, but Björling is stunning as Rodolfo, and de los Angeles is the perfect Mimi. Boheme was one of the first operas I was ever paid to perform in. And I must say that it has stuck with me better than almost anything I've ever sung. Which is significant, because the chorus has a relatively small and unimportant part.

I've played around with singing "Che Gelida Manina"... it's not really right for my voice... and at this point I'm horribly out of shape vocally. sigh.

While we were in Stockholm this summer, we found Björling Boulevard (road? street? Blvd sounded much more alliterative.)

That's it for now. See what you get for encouraging me to blog again? Ten minutes of Puccini. That's what.

1 comment:

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Oh darn...well written, brilliantly sung music and an educational and interesting post to read...yeah, we really messed up by encouraging you to blog. ;)

Thanks for the post...I'm digging it!