What a great day today turned out to be...
I had just gotten home, walked the dog through the woods, and started to microwave some leftovers when my phone rang - One of my oldest friends (I've known him since I was in 4th grade... I was what... 10?!??! That means I've known him for 20 years. Gah. Doesn't seem possible) calls me and he happens to be in Oakley.
Shoe shopping.
Because he broke up with a girl. Which makes him sound like a big girl himself, and he knows it.
But anyway, that's hardly the point. We just sat around talking, having a couple beers and talking more. When we were in high school, we used to sit out on the tops of our cars after rehearsal and just talk about everything. Music, Girls, the meaning of life, and everything in between. But usually it was those three topics. And here it was, twenty years later and we're talking about the same shit in the same way. It was insanely comforting in a way... to know that even though things change, other things really do stay the same.
It really reinforces to me my belief in the need for community in our society. Having friends is important. Having friends who will listen to you and care about you is even more important. Too many people are too focused on their own immediate needs and gratification that they don't worry or sacrifice for anyone else. Friends and community look out for each other. The Virginia Tech shootings and Columbine shootings wouldn't happen if the shooters had felt that people really cared for them. But they felt isolated and alone and hated the people that shunned them.
So here's to friends. If you're reading this you probably are one. So pour yourself a drink and raise your glass.
Egg Fast Log Sept 2017...
8 years ago

2 comments:
Funny, I was just having the same thoughts today. We do so much, and complain about not having time for things that are important. Well...if they are important...MAKE THEM PRIORITES..like spending time with friends.
I am raising my imaginary glass (i'm at work)
Cheers to you too Matt Smith and Cheers to Friends!!!
Although you kind of look like you the type to go on a shooting spree...I know that you wouldn't. cuz you don't have a gun.
Post a Comment