

The Bad:
I had just finished taking my shower at the Hostel in Victoria when I could hear one of the girls from the desk hunting for me in the room. Not a good thing.
As it turned out, Becky's car had been broken into. Back passenger window smashed and all my stuff pulled out. I didn't have anything visible - just in the trunk, but with the foreign plates, they probably figured it was a good chance. Lost my good hiking boots, my new pack, my favorite pair of hiking pants, my hydration bladder, and my headlamp.
And then, to add insult to injury, every car in the lot got a syringe shoved in a front tire.
One other car, a minivan with a lot of visible stuff, also got hit (actually before mine... a jacket from their car was in mine...)
A guy from CAA (canadian AAA) made it there a half hour before the cops and temporarily inflated our tires for us. I spent the rest of the day talking to the cops, getting the tire fixed, covering the window, etc.
The Wet: (not like that's not almost everything out here)
I'd had enough, so I took the car to the ferry and went back to the US via Port Angeles, north of Olympic National Park. I found a campground near a natural hot-springs "resort" in the national park. In quotes because in the 50s it was resort-ish. Now it's a little run down, but it was nice to spend the evening soaking in natural hot tubs.
Unfortunately it rained again at night and Becky's tent is NOT good at keeping the water on the outside of the tent. Woke up with everything soaked.
The Awesome:
But I'm back in portland now and all is good - got to see The National last night! I was bummed I couldn't see them when the were playing in Oakley because of Miami's reunion, but this totally made up for it. Plus some girl hit on me and I told some people to shut up! Go me!

2 comments:
Comment comment comment comment comment!! And by the way...comment.
No really...I read your blog everyday while you were gone and we did miss you. Your blog updates were great...It felt like I was right there with you on that nude beach...our butts shining together in the noon day sun...
Kris
Post a Comment