Tuesday, July 31, 2007

terrapass!

I'm proud to say that I've finally signed up for TerraPass. I've been meaning to look into it forever, but didn't get around to it until reading the current Backpacker and feeling really self-conscious about carbon use. It's going to be the first bumper sticker on my car. Although I think once one lands there, more may follow. I want my car to look like dan's truck! (minus the amsterdam coffee shop sticker....)

6 comments:

danl77 said...

So I looked up TerraPass. Interesting idea. Here is my problem:

It says nothing about changing your daily habits. It almost seems like it justifies driving any amount you want. Granted at least they are TRYING to do something positive...but I wonder if it is sending the wrong message. I think we need to reduce our emmisions by these offsets AND changing our habits for an even greater effect.

Your thoughts?

Matt said...

Absolutely. However, I have no real way of changing the fact that I have to commute to work (I do carpool a few days a week), and I can't afford to go buy a new car that is a hybrid or alternate energy type vehicle, and there is no public transportation that would get me there. So as long as I'm driving my civic, shouldn't I do what I can to offset that? I am trying to change habits, but I also know I'm going to drive my car close to 15,000 miles a year.

People who are conscious enough to pay for something like terrapass are probably already trying to change their habits, but like me, can't change certain things. Sure, there will be yuppie-yahoos who don't change a damn thing and staple one of those stickers to the back of there hummers, but I doubt there will be too many.

I'd rather do something rather than just feel helpless to change enough about my vehicle and home carbon consuption.

danl77 said...

Well said.

Now I am off to drive my second car instead of riding my bike.

See you Friday

Anonymous said...

I read this in Backpacker too...

I think that this is the environmental equivalent to medieval "Indulgences"...we have committed the sin of having crappy cars that create a carbon footprint so we pay money to "make the sin go away." But does it really make it go away? We still have our crappy cars...we are still committing sins...

But it makes us FEEL better...and that is what is important!

Okay, Matt, rip me to shreds...I am ready.

Matt said...

Again, I understand your point completely, but isn't it better to offset a little than to do nothing?

Sort of like I pay a higher premium on my electric and gas bill to help pay for the development of green energy sources.

It isn't a perfect system, but it's better than not doing anything.

From terrapass's website:

"When you buy a TerraPass, your money funds renewable energy projects such as wind farms. These projects result in verified reductions in greenhouse gas pollution. And these reductions counterbalance your own emissions... Every TerraPass member has taken a simple positive step to fight global warming. Every TerraPass purchase is a vote for innovation, efficiency, and clean energy. Together, we have eliminated over 380 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions."

The truth is, government and business aren't funding these things as fast as they should be. So I'm helping to fund it. It's something I value and it's one thing that I CAN do. So unlike indulgences which went to make the church fat, these dollars are actually going to fund renewable resources. Do they literally offset my carbon output? No. Do they help reduce the carbon output of our country. Yes.

Anonymous said...

"Wind Farms"...where do you buy the seeds for that??!?

Actually, with Marky B living in my house eating Taco Bell...now THAT is a Wind Farm!