expectation and disappointment
Have you noticed that when you anticipate that something will be great that you are far more likely to be disappointed by it in the end? And the things that you have low expectations for can be surprisingly wonderful simply because you didn't expect much out of them?
So is the key to happiness lowering your expectations so that you are pleasantly surprised by the ordinary? But if you lower your expectations are you really just settling for mediocrity?
Sigh.
Egg Fast Log Sept 2017...
8 years ago

4 comments:
Perhaps, it is not that things are less wonderful than we expect, but rather our expectations get in the way of wonderful things. Sure, I thought the Grand Canyon would be better than it was. But I wasn't dissapointed. I simply reformulated my view and looked for the great things. Good Exercise, Mule poop on the trail, me smelling bad. I am sure neither of us were expecting THOSE things to be what we remembered. But they turned out to be great!!! (maybe not me smelling)
I guess, maybe it is looking for the unexpected, rather than lowering an expectation. I kind of think, expectations are like judging someone before you really get to know them. Still, I have had those moments...like raming a hot poker in my eye. I just thought it would be really great. Who knew?
Yeah.
I was just in a down sort of mood yesterday. Long story.
And you smelling bad at the grand canyon yielded hysterical laughter for me. So I guess you do reformulate your view sometimes.
I expect to be disappointed.
Post a Comment