Sunday, October 21, 2007

yoga

After numerous discussions with people over the last few years, I've been very curious about the practice of yoga. Some people had suggested that they thought that it fit my body as well as philosophy.

So, after a little prodding from a friend, I attended my first beginning yoga class this morning.

I like it. I felt great when I left. Physically I was definitely awake, but the big surprise was the mental effect. The teacher was good, and mentally I did have to concentrate in order to manage each of the positions. The combination of concentration and focus on breathing really did give focus to the mind. I left feeling relaxed and focused. Of course, it didn't hurt that the day was perfectly beautiful. I'm definitely a little sore. I will go back... I'm very curious to see if the effect would be repeated. I'm probably going to turn down a church gig for next week so that I can go back.

3 comments:

danl77 said...

I just started my Yoga classes again. I do think you can get the same feeling everytime. However, I would challenge you to keep yourself open to ANY experience. Remember that discussion about expectations. Just go with an open mind. After a long lay off of classes, I can't beleive how much I missed it.

Jack Croupy, alias said...

I bet you'd not only find that the experience is repeated, but it may be better if done within a couple of days of each other.

Jess, and I had done a couple of classes when we were going to Gym (prior to Grace) and we loved, but there's so little time now and what do we do with Grace?

Out of curiosity, where are your sessions and how much are they?

Matt said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I think that you're right on, dan.

I went to Yoga hOMe which is right by my house (coincidentally, they have a mariemont location) It's $14 a session if you don't pay for multiple sessions (cheaper the more you buy), which seemed expensive to me at first, but I had a really good experience.