Remember this?
While on that trip I picked up a piece of wood that simply begged to be turned. It was a heavily spalted piece of soft maple.
I was working on a guitar hanger for Mark, when I got to a point that I had to stop until a later day.... but I didn't want to be done in the shop. I saw this piece, and decided to start in on it. The form had to be relatively simple because of the detail of the spalt, so a vase seemed to be the best choice.
Turned relatively easily, although the softness of the wood made it a little difficult to finish - I couldn't sand it any more than 200 or the dust would get into the grain.
I still have two more pieces from the same log that I'm going to work on at some point, but I need to wait until I get a different chuck for the lathe.
Fun!

6 comments:
that's awesome. And I feel stangely attached to this vase since you found the wood when we were camping.
This is amazing!!! And basically it was free to make...besides your valuable time...and the thousands of dollars in woodworking equiptment that you have...so not so free afterall...nevermind!
Kris
Uh..yeah..I bought that cord of wood. I own the vase. I want it Be-atch.
I believe you mean bundle.
A full cord of wood is four feet wide by four feet tall by eight feet long - or - 128 cubic feet of wood.
And, I bought another bundle JUST so I could keep the one log.
AND if I give it to anyone, I'm giving it to Mark and Kris because they said nice things to me.
thhhhhhppppppptttt. :P
eat my cord...
and...... no.....
Post a Comment