Instead of New Year's Resolutions, I've chosen three words.... words I've been thinking about a lot lately, and words that are forming into my general philosophy on life. Ideally, these words will be my guide in the coming year:
Contentment
Gratitude
Compassion
The first is something that I think I (and so many other Americans) lack more than we need to. We have been trained from a young age to want. And want I do. I covet cameras, lenses, new computers, fancy toys that apple makes, great hiking gear... the list goes on and on... and I don't need any of it. I just want it. Contentment. Being satisfied with what you have... and I have so much.. and so many reasons to be content. I have more than I could ever use - and I am lucky enough to be joined in this life by a wonderful person.... I have enough. More than I probably deserve.
...which leads me to gratitude. Every day I need to be thankful for the things I have been given in this life and the things I have - not necessarily material items (which as mentioned above, I have more than enough of) but for the people and animals and world that make my life richer. Gratitude is easily partnered with contentment - when I am thankful for the things I do have, I don't feel as much need to want other things.
Compassion... this is a hard one. Feeling empathy for the others around us, not always putting ourselves first. This one will be the hardest for me, but one that is worth keeping in the forefront of my mind, and hopefully - at some point - acting on. A while ago, I had attempted to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity... I was easily discouraged at how difficult it was to do and how I received no response... there are other worthy causes and ways in which I can help - I just need to work on the motivation.
---------------
I've been thinking of these for a while, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that actually taking the time to type this was brought on in part by the time I've spent remembering Steve Bodner. While Steve and I were never close, I certainly had many good conversations about music with him and enjoyed his company and admired his musicianship. I wrote much of this the day I found out he died... and came back to edit and post it later.
His death is a terrible reminder that life is indeed short and way too fragile. Make it worthwhile.
Egg Fast Log Sept 2017...
8 years ago

1 comment:
Beautifully put, Matt. Words worth some reflection. I think I have the hardest time with the contentment part, but I'm working on it.
The news of Steve's passing sent me into a bit of a tailspin of reflection and a rollercoaster of emotional confusion. I hadn't seen Steve in years, and I can't fathom that I won't ever have the chance to see him again on this planet.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and process.
Post a Comment