Monday, August 15, 2011

One year "anniversary"


One year ago today, I packed up my stuff (well…. most of it) into a 26 foot long UHaul and began a two-day long drive that would land me in St. Petersburg Florida. It was the first time that I would be leaving Ohio without a definite set point of return. It would be the first time I would live outside of the state. I had only seen a couple of pictures of where I would be living. I didn’t know what I’d do for work or really anything else; all I knew was that I was going to live with the girl that I loved very much and who loved me back.

It was a little bit of a leap of faith, and was certainly a big transition. I had no idea at the time that only a few days later we would find that Laura was pregnant… I had no idea about the great many ways in which my life would change.

I told Laura this this weekend – that I feel more content than I have felt in years. Florida is not home – and it may never be – but Laura and Luca are my home. We may not want to be here for the rest of our lives, but while we are here, it’s pretty nice. I like the beach. I like the ocean.

I miss my friends and my family. My relationship with my brother and his wife has deteriorated beyond anything I could have imagined, for reasons that I can’t even begin to fathom…. I don’t particularly love my job. But for most of these things I’ve been able to find a silver lining – I am getting better at taking away the positives of the situation rather than the negatives.

So who knows… maybe in another year we’ll still be here. Or maybe in another year I’ll be writing from somewhere all together different. Who knows, but I'll have Laura and Luca with me, and that's all I need. So for now, I’ll take it as it comes, and appreciate it for what it’s worth.

Cheers.

4 comments:

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Great post, though I'm sorry to hear that your relationship with your brother is not what it was...that really is too bad. I really can't wait to meet Luca and hope and pray you all move back near Cincy someday (sooner than later!).
Say hi to Laura for us and send our love to Luca!

Laura S said...

Aww, so sweet! I'm forever grateful to you for making that leap of faith (after reading your post I can hardly believe you did it - what a HUGE leap). It's been a crazy year, but a great one. Now, when we can move back closer to friends and family everything will be perfect. :) Love you lots!

Kris Becknell said...

We miss you too Matt Smith & Laura Smith...and I am sure when we meet you we will miss you too Luca Smith!!!

Still hoping Mark will have a free weekend soon so we can come visit! I hear St. Pete's is lovely this time of year!

Kris

Jodi, Larry, and Keaton Stephens said...

I saw the new pics you posted of Luca tonight on Facebook. There is one picture of you holding him and I thought to myself that both you adn Laura looked so happy. Life takes you strange places, but if you keep yourself focused on what is important the rest will work itself out.