Sunday, July 17, 2011

A picture I've always wanted to take

 

I took this one night on the beach in St. Augustine - it was a slightly cloudy bnight, so it's not as clear as others - and I made a few mistakes that I've learned from if I ever try it again, but.... This is what the sky looks like over the course of 1537.9 seconds (25.6 minutes). What you're seeing is the path of the stars created by the earth's rotation. (A much finer example can be seen here) Clearly, I have a long way to go. But for a first attempt, it is what it is, and I like it.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Cool experiment! I love long exposure, night sky photography -- it's one of MANY reason I really want to own a decent DSLR. Great first attempt! I hope you get to throw open the shutter for a few thousand seconds again soon, Matt.

Jack Croupy, alias said...

I likey. Keep up the good work, my friend!