No. Not THAT Good Bad and Ugly
I've been sitting on this one for a while... it was written at a point that I was feeling kind of frustrated. A lot of it is still true, so I may as well publish it. Otherwise it was a lot of typing for no reason.
The good the bad (2x) and the ugly
The good the bad (2x) and the ugly
The good: I have accepted a pretty significant promotion at work – giving me a huge salary jump as well as double the vacation time. My responsibilities have increased somewhat (I'll take a class and become a licensed FAA inspector), but not that much… in truth the raise is an attempt at making up for what they viewed as undervaluing me. It came at a good time for us… I had even applied to a teaching position here in Florida that I didn't even get an interview for. Laura and I have been in a little bit of limbo – waiting for something else to come up, an excuse to move to North Carolina (or possibly Ohio), but it just wasn’t happening. And, as a result, we were hesitant to do anything that resembled a commitment to the area or to friends, etc. So unless a miracle job opens, we plan on being here for a while. In what might be a blur of professional and personal, my boss is looking at buying a beautiful craftsman house on his street that he could rent to us for a few years. If at the end of that we want to buy it, he's open to that, too. It's a short sale, and there is a contract, but it sounds as though there is a decent likelyhood of it falling through. So... yeah. A big raise, a 100% increase in vacation time, paid for training and certification, and a boss who wants to buy a house so we can live there. I guess they like me!
The bad: My house in Oakley refuses to sell. Most feedback responses are based on the immediate neighbors – slobs – even to the point of leaving a butcher knife on the hood of the car in the driveway. I have dropped the price to the point where I’m losing so much money that I will walk away with almost nothing. And still…. Nothing. I feel pretty helpless and depressed about this. And, until it is gone, we can't really buy anything for ourselves (however, see "good" above - with potential nice house to live in) Update: I have an offer. A piss-poor offer, but an offer. I'll loose my shirt, but it will be a giant weight off.
The bad: So far this is just bad, not ugly. Hopefully it stays that way. Luca has been diagnosed with Urticaria Pigmentosa – a rare disease that causes what appear to be hives. The spots are always there, and (so far) rarely become inflamed. So far his case appears to be mild – although the spots have seemed to slowly increase in number. It’s also unclear what causes them to become inflamed/irritated. There really isn’t a treatment. Hopefully it goes away at puberty. Again. Helpless. He's such a great kid and it's super frustrating to not be able to do anything about this.
The ugly: My relationship with my brother. We haven’t spoken in about six months because I was exhausted from the emotional stress of trying to have even a simple conversation with him. The complaints he registers are constantly changing and shifting, and the current focus is on Laura – he even de-friended and blocked her on Facebook. (Something I suspect he personally may not even really know how to do…. Given his lack of technical know-how) It’s clearly a gesture to irritate us because he doesn’t even use facebook. We’ve been blocked from viewing his wife’s page for a couple years now. That doesn’t even bother me anymore. My brother has created a web of lies that extends so far in both directions it seems irreconcilable. He has called me from friends’ phones, emailed from secret email , and even had a secret meeting in a parking lot. (The final one of those happened at Thanksgiving because I really wanted to see him and for him to meet Luca. I pushed it. I shouldn’t have. If he wanted to meet him he should have made it happen.) As for Richele, Laura and I have been repeatedly instructed not to address the issues with her – or for that matter even contact her. Only recently has there even been contact with my parents. It has created a significant strain in our family, and my brother has clearly made the choice to follow her and exclude his family. I never viewed it as an either-or option, but apparently she does. I don't get it. Update: My parents talked to him and for now this will stay just as it is. He and I will have essentially no relationship and he will have a very limited, minimal relationship with them. But at least we all know where we stand.
I have much to be thankful for, and this is really just a rant to get a couple of things off my mind. It's weird how life has its ways...


1 comment:
Glad to hear about the raise, sad to hear about the lack of sales in the housing department, and also the "hive" thing with Luca. I'm speechless about your brother...how can someone be so blind as to what his wife is doing to those who love and care for him?! Shocking!
I'm glad I stopped by the ol blogosphere today...catching up is good. :)
My best to you,
Jack Croupy
Post a Comment