Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Resignations, Rock Stars, and Ramblings

I submitted my resignation from work today. I made a point to tell all of the students today, too. I felt that it was important that they heard it from me.

Many of these students I've taught for four years. Some of them I've known for up to six. Several of the girls that are in one of my favorite groups that I have taught for four years were a little emotion. One ended up sobbing on her way out, and told me that I was the reason she was going to be pursuing music. She couldn't get much more out.

I've had my ups and downs with them, for sure. But I feel good about this. It was a reassuring day to me - that what I do matters, and that for some of these kids I have made a difference.

Dan left me a great message, too. And I think he's right. It's been a good run, but I somehow doubt I'll go back.

-------------
In other news, my computer is back. Yippie!

-------------
In other news, Josh Eagle and the Harvest City rocked the 20th Century Theater in Oakley with what may have been the first ever CD Release Potluck Dinner that ever was. And Rock they did. They have produced a really solid album - the kind I want to listen to. The kind that's been in my CD player since I got it, and it's not leaving soon.

The evening was filled with good energy, a remarkable amount of good food, and a lot of close friends. Plus some dude made the best guacamole I think I've ever had. Seriously. It was so good. Overall, I thought it was a tremendous success - from the Show Your Teeth cookies to the cool sounds and shirts of the Hiders, to the sweet ambiance of the 20th century.

And, as a bonus, they asked me to take pictures - which was pretty cool. I had a little bit of a learning curve on the evening, and really challenged myself to play with settings until I got it right. I like the results, and hope you do, too.

So yeah... that's been a busy way to start May! Cheers.

2 comments:

Kris Becknell said...

Congrats on both your resignation & your computer working again! Good news!

And thank you so much for taking & sharing the Josh Eagle photos...very cool.

Kris

Becky Schatz said...

Congratulations Matt. Good luck on whatever direction your life decides to take you. We're very happy for you!