So I've been settling into unemployment.... and it is a little unsettling. I have had a list of things "to-do" that was always so long... between two houses, a full-time job, and way too many personal interests, it seemed that I was never lacking for things to do. But it is interesting how not having a job can really sit in the back of your mind. And sometimes in the front of your mind when it comes to paying bills. There may be more on the nature of unemployment later.
And the truth is, I still don't lack for things to do. The day disappears before most of the things on my list are done, and I don't know where the time goes. So, I'm trying to do some things that have been on my personal wish-I-could-do list more. These include (but are not limited to) playing piano for my own enjoyment (there's that life-long desire to be a jazz pianist...), getting better at taking pictures, cooking.
Cooking has become a big part of everyday life for me. Laura and I haven't gone out to eat in a while. Not only does it save money, but it's remarkably tasty. As mentioned in my previous post, I've made oatmeal cookies (my mom's recipe - nothing fancy, but what you grow up with is what you crave), black bean burgers, and tonight's dinner is falafel. I've also done a few impromptu/made-up meals including a Mexican casserole (which I should have written the recipe for...), Grilled veggie kabobs with yellow rice (garlic expressions is the perfect marinade), omelets, pancakes, and a few other things. Now that I've gotten a lot of the kitchen unpacked, it's easier to cook. It's a nice kitchen with good appliances, although I miss my gas stove. The return to electric has taken a little getting used to. After visiting Laura's Italian grandmother and hearing her talk about risotto, that is going to be on this weekend's menu. I'm thinking about roasting marinated veggies on the grill and then tossing those into the risotto.
Cooking is a nurturing art. I've been single a long time, and I've forgotten how much I like to cook for someone. It's much more enjoyable than cooking for yourself.
So.... Eat up and raise a glass. Cheers! Here's to house-husbandry!
Egg Fast Log Sept 2017...
8 years ago

1 comment:
Laura has GOT to be happy you're in FL now...home-cooked meals when she gets home from work...you in that little apron. Wow...did I go there? Um....YES I DID!
Post a Comment