Saturday, September 25, 2010

Organic Florida Fall Gardening!




........................
Inspired in part by Mark and Kris's bounteous harvests this summer and the possibilities of growing vegetables in the fall in Florida, Laura and I had been talking about growing our own veggies. While checking out the "Things to Do" according to the St. Pete Times, I found that USF was hosting a fall organic gardening class at the botanical gardens this morning. So we got up, and drove up to USF. The guy giving the presentation owned a local organic and hydroponic gardening center. A little on the crazy side, he spewed forth tons of information, easily sidetracking himself along the way... At the end, we got a couple of free tomato plants and (probably as desired) drove over to his store and spent a good chunk of change. By the afternoon I was mixing organic soil with bat guano and preparing homes for three tomato plants, two pepper plants, a zucchini, and a basil. It seems weird to be planting at the end of September, but by Thanksgiving we should be reaping a harvest of veggies. Fun times!

1 comment:

Jack Croupy, alias said...

So, is "growing season" all year round down there? Do some plants just refuse to grow in December, even if it's warm? I assume not, but the whole thing would throw off my seasonal equilibrium.

Miss you guys!