Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is, and has long been, one of my favorite holidays.

While a large distance has grown between me and the church upbringing that I had, one thing that I take from that upbringing is that I still feel that the gratitude should play an important part in our every day life. I truly feel that by consciously acknowledging how much we are given and fortunate we are to have the love and support of others, our life in turn is made better.

It's nice to have a holiday dedicated to the giving of thanks. And it's nice to have a holiday that centers on family. I always loved the opportunity to sit around with family and enjoy food and drinks and talking and playing cards. It is essentially relatively simple and unencumbered. I like it.

This year will be different. Instead of in a warm kitchen roasting a turkey while the air outside has a harsh chill, I will be with Laura and the dogs somewhere in Key West. But it's fitting. We are starting our new family together and will be making and creating our own traditions. And, in the spirit of giving thanks, it is that which I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving: my new family - my new wife and our child that is on the way. There is so much to be thankful for. Over the last year, I have had many changes - but the constants - the people in my life - have given me so much love and support that I am forever in their debt. So while I will not be with most of my family, and I will not get to see my friends, my thoughts are with them, and I am grateful for them.

I am so truly fortunate that I have you all in my life (yeah - I know who you are - there's only so many people that read this stupid blog - so I'm talkin' to you.) and I hope that wherever you are, and whoever you are with on this holiday that you can take a moment and feel true gratitude for all the good in life.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Matt

1 comment:

Kris Becknell said...

We read the blog...so Thanks!! We are thankful for you too, Matt Smith and Laura Smith and Fetus Smith!!!

Love Mark & Kris