Thursday, December 2, 2010

catching up

There's been a lot going on.

Expecting a kid is pretty overwhelming. There are MANY decisions to make and just as many opinions about how you should make them. And they all seem to be more important than the average decisions I have to make. But it's exciting too.... crazy how life can change so fast.

Work is good... crazy busy. I have fallen into a do-whatever-is-needed kind of position. In addition to my standard duties as a receiving inspector and shipping guy, I have built tables, glued and tested LEDs, tried to work out some software bugs, done a bunch of other small computer stuff, interviewed new candidates... you name it. I may get my soldering certificate next week, too. We're so busy that I've built 15 tables (two long sets of 6 each, and 3 others), and we're trying to hire 5 more people. You think it would be easy getting people in this economy, but what we've found is it's not as easy as it would seem.

My parents came down a couple weeks ago and got to see the place for the first time. It was nice having them here. Haven't gone that long without seeing them in quite a while. We took them to the beach and checked out a sand sculpture contest. Cool stuff.


We spent Thanksgiving in Key West - a bit of a drive, but a nice change of pace. We had an awesome time kayaking through some mangroves and checking out all the wildlife... we had an interesting adventure snorkeling (why on earth would a large group of Indians decide to go snorkeling if they didn't know how to swim. at all. They got a couple miles from shore and then panicked when put in the water. Go figure. It looked like a scene from some refuge boat rescue. people in and out of the water flailing about... actually somewhat scary.) We went to a drag show... and I happened to be in the bathroom during the one bit of full-frontal nudity... Laura got to witness the full effect. It was quite the show.


I've been singing a fair amount lately, too. St. Pete is a much smaller pond than Cincinnati - with three major schools, Cincinnati's music market is pretty flooded and vibrant. St Pete- not so much. I did my first public solo work in years, was offered a church sub gig (that paid quite well) without ever having been heard by the director, and have been approached about several opportunities. It's nice. It's not my full job, but I have opportunities to do things - and I can pick and choose a little bit about what I choose to do. So that's cool.

Anyway.... that's what's going on in these parts.

2 comments:

Kris Becknell said...

Hey Matt, Looks like you guys had a great time in the Keys. Love the kitties! Glad to hear you are finding singing opportunities in St. Pete.

Kris

danl77 said...

Dude, Sorry you missed the full frontal. After our trip to the Grand Canyon, I know how much you would have like that.

(bo-ya!)