In an email to a friend, I wrote:
One year ago
- I was "single" (in a relationship, but not engaged)
- living in Cincinnati
- teaching music
Today
-married
-kid due in approx. 2 months
-living in St. Pete
-Working in inspections, shipping and logistics for a company that supplies all commercial planes in the air today. (and this week, I'm splitting the responsibilities of literally running the company while the President, VP/production supervisor, and head secretary are all out of town... YIKES)
Amazing, really. And - I have to say - I haven't been this consistently happy in my life for ... well.... as long as I can remember. The last year has been a lot of things - including stressful - but it really has been one of the best years of my life. And, it's been a crazy, crazy week. I have been left half in charge of a company that is completely outside of my realm of experience, I'm trying to determine repetoire for an ensemble that I'm now the conductor of, I'm expecting a baby in a couple of months..... yikes! so much going on. On top of that, I found out that the person who took my job just lost his job (at the end of this year) due to budget cuts. (What is going on in public education, public finance, and Mason schools is another blog post entirely - or just a really long rant). So I count myself fortunate in so many ways.
I've been reminded recently of the opportunity that I had had in India - the girl that taught a voice lesson to sang at the Nobel Peace Price concert, and AR Rahman has been in the news.... and again... I wouldn't change a thing. At the time, it seemed like such a big deal that it all fell through - but now - now it's just a weird blip in the past. I can guarantee you that my life would have been different had I gone... but I can also guarantee you that my life is better now.
So now we eagerly await the coming of our child... an overwhelming prospect and responsibility, but at the same time, I can think of few things that makes me happier than feeling his kick.
So it goes... I've had some big years, but this was potentially the biggest yet... and I can't wait for what is to come.
(in case you were wondering, I proposed to my wife one year ago on the 25th... her birthday - that may give this post a little context)

1 comment:
WOW! Nice post, Matt! I am super happy for you and Laura and baby Hezzie. Sounds like all signs are pointing toward positive choices and direction in your life...and sorry to hear about your Mason replacement - yikes!
Kris
Post a Comment